Final November 2021 Steering Committee Minutes



DATE: November 23, 2021

PLACE:  Internet, via Zoom

MEETING TYPE:  BRECA Steering Committee Meeting


James Adams

Lori Christensen

Rene Hamlin

Gay Jones

Jim Morgan


Ken Crawford

Bonnie Domeny

Andrea White


1. Call to Order by Chair Rene Hamlin

2. Welcome and Introductions

3.  Questions or Comments from the Community on Non-agenda items.


4.  New Business 

a. From the Floor


b. County Redistricting

Gay Jones stated that the final draft of the redistricting of County Supervisors Districts is out.  Rancho Cordova is split into two parts.  Riviera and College Greens East are in District 3.  BRECA remains in District 5.  The California Assembly and Senate also have new maps – there are different combinations for many areas.  Rene Hamlin enquired as to whether any action was needed from BRECA.  Gay replied that she has not drafted a letter for BRECA, and it is not clear at this point if it would make a difference.  Jim Morgan concurred that the redistricting is mostly a done deal, unless someone brings a lawsuit against it.

Rebecca Sloan, with Supervisor Nottoli’s office, commented that BRECA was part of many conversations about community issues; BRECA’s interests were thought to be in common with Rancho Cordova.  Gay commented that the eastern part of Rancho Cordova is in District 3 in the new maps.  Ms. Sloan commented that the existing District 3 is entirely unincorporated area, and has a heavy demand on staff for services.  She also commented that they had received Gay’s personal comments about redistricting. 

c. BRECA Web Site

Jim Morgan brought to people’s attention that the BRECA Web Site is badly behind the times in many areas.  For example, the home page still says June 2021 agenda.  Also, the By-Laws are the original By-Laws from 1997, not the revised version from 2017.  Further, under Steering Committee, it still has the 2019/2020 Steering Committee, including Lee Leavelle as a member and Bonnie Domeny as Chair.  There are also other items that are out of date.  After some discussion, it was agreed to try to find a volunteer from the BRECA membership to help with the Web Site.  Gay Jones suggested contacting the Rosemont Community Association to find out how they do their web site.  Rene Hamlin volunteered to send an email to BRECA members, and perhaps post to Nextdoor also.

d. December Meeting

Jim Morgan raised the question of what to do about the December BRECA meeting, and suggested that it be a Zoom meeting on the 3rd week of the month.  There was discussion about having a small party at Brookside, although problems with that idea were raised.  A member of the audience commented that a little party outside at Brookside would be nice; serving food makes a big difference.  Lori Christensen commented that she would prefer to wait and have a real party.  Possibly there could be an informal meeting at the bar.  James Adams agreed.  Gay Jones commented that there might not be a need for a standard business meeting.  Lori suggested donating the budgeted amount for the December party to a local food bank instead of a party.  Rene Hamlin commented that the budget is only $100, so it won’t go far.  Gay made a motion for BRECA to donate $100 to a local food bank.  Lori suggested the River City Food Bank.  This was agreed to.  James Adams seconded the motion.  The vote was unanimous in favor.

Jim Morgan suggested that the Steering Committee members be polled about a week before December 14 to see if there is a need for a business meeting.  Gay Jones agreed.  It was agreed to do so.

A member of the audience suggested sending the donation to the Rancho Cordova Food Locker.  Rene commented that they include services to the 95827 Zip Code, so she would not be opposed to donating the money to them.  It was agreed to do so.  Rene volunteered to send an email to the membership about the donation, and there will be an informal get together at Brookside.

5. Old Business

a. From the Floor

Jim Morgan commented that he had attended a virtual meeting with several staff from the Central Valley Flood Protection Board concerning the request of the potential developers of the Kassis property for a variance from flood protection regulations.  The staff indicated that they would not support issuing a variance.  They also said that there could be other ways through the regulations, but did not indicate what those might be.  The Board would have to approve the variance, otherwise the project can not be built.

b. General Meeting Wrap Up

Jim Morgan reported that 32 people, in addition to 6 Steering Committee members, attended the (virtual) meeting.  The expense for the flyer that was sent to the whole BRECA area was $952.19, which exceeded the budgeted amount of $725, and requested approval of the overage.  Gay Jones made a motion to approve the overage.  James Adams seconded the motion.  The motion was approved unanimously.

Rene Hamlin commented that she would like to have the woman from County Health, who talked about mental health at the General Meeting, come back and talk about self care at the January BRECA meeting.  It was agreed to do so.  Rebecca Sloan, with Supervisor Nottoli’s office, agreed to do the contact.

6. Minutes of September 28, 2021

James Adams made a motion to accept the draft minutes for September 28, 2021.  Lori Christensen seconded the motion.  The motion was approved unanimously.

7. Reports

a. County Update

Rene Hamlin enquired about preparations for Afghan refugees.  Rebecca Sloan, with Supervisor Nottoi’s office, reported that there had been a workshop hosted by Supervisor Nottoli that was attended by many local resource groups.  She offered to share a link to a recording of the workshop.

Ms. Sloan also reported that some homeless people who were camping near the Mayhew Drain had moved from the west side to the east side of the drain.  There has been some progress on the 9500 block of Folsom Blvd and some of the tents are gone.  Lori Christensen commented that she had seen fires and smoke from the camp close to Folsom Blvd, and that sometimes their belongings spill into the bike lane.  She enquired whether that was legal.  Ms. Sloan commented that it may not be illegal, and they cannot do enforcement unless it completely blocks the sidewalk, which is not the case.  If there is a fire safety issue or someone is standing in the roadway, call 911, and they can do something.  But they still cannot remove encampments.

Gay Jones enquired about the establishment of sidewalks on the south side of Folsom Blvd. from Bradshaw to Butterfield.  Ms. Sloan responded that there has been a hiatus of activity during the winter, but it will resume in the spring.  It is possible that the level of activity will induce the homeless there to move.  They are trying to be creative in addressing the homeless issue.

Jim Morgan commented that he cannot get the County Public Health COVID-19 dashboard on his browser.  After some discussion, it appeared that he needed to upgrade his browser, or use a different one.

Ms. Sloan commented that the Supervisors have some funds available for District 5 from the County budget, $2.5 million in this fiscal year, and the same for the next fiscal year, for various projects.  Some ideas have been senior services, fire districts COVID-19 disposable gear, and broadband.  If people have ideas for one-time projects, they should make requests.

James Adams commented that there had been a pledge to lift County COVID-19 mandates if cases fell below 5 per 100,000.  He enquired whether that would apply to public meeting rooms?  Ms. Sloan commented that cases are still around 15 per 100,000, and are likely to increase in the winter months.  It was pointed out that the library meeting room is being used for other purposes.

b. Treasurer

There was no report from the Treasurer.

c. Membership

Jim Morgan reported that four people had not renewed their membership from March of 2021, and will be removed around the end of the month unless they renew.  Gay Jones requested the names and contact information for those members, in case someone has personal contacts.  Jim agreed to do so.

d. Floor

Gay Jones stated that she had sent out an email from the California Public Utilities Commission (PUC) Public Advocates Office.  The PUC has granted an 8.8% rate increase to California American Water from a 2019 application.

Gay reported that they have a vacancy on the Cordova Community Planning and Advisory Council (CORPAC).  If anyone is interested, please contact Supervisor Nottoi’s office.

James Adams enquired whether Gay had done any research into increased noise from planes using Mather Field.  Gay stated that she intends to comment on the County Airports web site complaints section.

8. Meeting adjourned.

The next meeting is to be determined (possibly December 14, 2021, or otherwise January 25, 2022).

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.