12-16-14 Meeting Minutes


DATE: December 16, 2014
PLACE: Brookside Restaurant and Bar, 9819 Horn Road, Sacramento, California
MEETING TYPE: BRECA Steering Committee Meeting


Lori Christensen
Kelly Cohen
Bonnie Domeny
Rene Hamlin
Gay Jones
Jim Morgan
Rick Sloan
Greg Vaughan
Andrea White

  1. Welcome from Chair Gay Jones
  2. Minutes
    1. October 2014
      Joe O’Connor requested a change to the draft minutes for October 2014. Lori Christensen made a motion to adopt the amended draft minutes. Bonnie Domeny seconded the motion. The motion was approved unanimously.
    2. November 2014
      Lori Christensen stated that she seconded the California American Water motion under item 5c of the November 2014 minutes. Lori Christensen made a motion to adopt the amended draft minutes. Rick Sloan seconded the motion. The motion was approved with 8 in favor and 1 abstention.
  3. Updates
    1. Treasurer’s Report
      Andrea White, Treasurer, reported that the balance in the BRECA bank account is $4,190.53. A summary of Profit and Loss, Budget vs. Actual up to November 2014 was distributed.
    2. American River Parkway Coalition
      Gay Jones distributed cards with phone numbers for reporting issues on the American River Parkway. She also distributed ranger activity reports. She stated that there is expected to be a draft policy on signage in the Parkway out at the end of the year. She reported that the Corps of Engineers is changing their “408” policy, such that if anybody does anything in the floodway, they will need a Corps permit. Jeff Leatherman (Director of County Parks) has stated that they may try to put one big permit together for all activities, to be submitted to the Corps.
    3. Mile 12 South Stewardship
      Gay Jones stated that BRECA is the “Steward” for the mile 12 south section of the Parkway. This includes activities such as vegetation planting and trash pickup. She reports the volunteer hours. She would like to get hours from people who do these activities as individuals. Rene Hamlin suggested posting it on Nextdoor.com.
    4. From the Floor
      Stan Mofjeld stated that the east end of the Mayhew-Gristmill levee has been blocked off for moving dirt around. The Corps is not planning to close the gap at the end of the levee. Work is supposed to be completed by the end of the year.
  4. Old Business
    1.  Special Planning Area
      Gay Jones stated that she had received a call from Kris Pahoule (spelling?) with the County. A meeting is tentatively planned for January 8 for review of the draft Special Planning Area document.
    2. Newsletter
      Jim Morgan stated that they are working on the Newsletter. Current plans are to get it out in late December or early January. The Newsletter has been delayed because of the delay in the Corps project on the east end of the levee.
    3. California American Water
      Gay Jones stated that the Cal Am letter is ready to go, but that we still need to figure out to whom and where to send the letter. There was brief discussion of to whom to send the letter.
    4.  2015 Calendar
      The following dates were tentatively selected for BRECA activities in 2015:
      Starthistle removal: May and/or June
      General Meeting: April.
      Easter Egg Hunt: March 28
      National Night Out: August 4
      Bark in the Park: August 23
      Picnic: September 20
      November meeting on 4th Tuesday (no change)
      December meeting one week early (December 15)
    5. Venue for Meetings During Library Remodel
      Gay Jones stated that the Rancho Cordova Library is having an Americans with Disabilities Act accessible bathroom installed. Possibly it will be completed by March. There was discussion of having meetings in the interim at Erliwine school or Brookside Restaurant and Bar.
    6. From the Floor
      Rick Sloan stated that he had talked with Terry Dugan of the Rosemont Community Association about sending information packets to new residents. Terry Dugan stated that they work with a realtor, but don’t get people’s names. Greg Vaughan stated that he had a list of all residences sold in the BRECA area in the last 12 months. It was suggested that the packet include a cover letter, a Newsletter, and a membership application.
  5. New Business
    1. From the floor/Information Sharing
      It was agreed that a budget committee should put together a BRECA budget for 2015. Members of the Committee are Andrea White, Jim Morgan, Rene Hamlin, Kelly Cohen and maybe Gay Jones. Andrea White to organize meetings.

      Kelly Cohen stated that she thinks that the BRECA website needs work and could be more interesting. A committee was tentatively formed consisting of Kelly Cohen, Joe O’Connor, Marcus Christian, and Bonnie Domeny. Kelly to talk to Joe and bring back to the Steering Committee at the next meeting.

      Bob Baptiste asked whether the development rights are still in place for the 14-acre parcel across from the Butterfield Light Rail station. Gay Jones to find out.

      Rick Sloan suggested that maybe we should have a standing item for Cordova Park District (CRPD) so that he can find out what people think. Andrea White stated that she is bringing priorities for work to the CRPD Board. Jim Morgan suggested putting it on the January calendar, and see how it works.

  6. Meeting adjourned
    The next Steering Committee Meeting will be held on Tuesday, January 27, 2015, location TBD.
Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.