04-27-10 Meeting Minutes


DATE: April 27, 2010
PLACE:  Rancho Cordova Library, 9845 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento, California
MEETING TYPE:  BRECA Steering Committee Meeting


Lori Christensen
Kelly Cohen
Gay Jones
Stan Mofjeld
Jim Morgan
Mary Ann Winters

  1. Welcome from Chair Gay Jones
  2. Minutes for March 2010
    Joe O’Connor pointed out that the source of water used by Cal Am should be 93% groundwater, not 97%.  Lori Christensen made a motion to accept the revised minutes.  Mary Ann Winters seconded the motion.  The motion was approved unanimously.
  3. Reports
    1. CORPAC
      Gay Jones reported that there had not been a meeting of the Cordova Area Planning and Advisory Council (CORPAC) this month.  The environmental document for the Sacramento Municipal Utility District proposed East Campus has been released.
    2. Treasurer’s Report
      Kelly Cohen (treasurer) reported a balance of $5,239.69 in the BRECA bank account.
  4. Old Business
    1. Flood Control and Habitat Restoration
      Gay Jones reported that she had not received any information from the staff of the Sacramento Area Flood Control Agency this month.  Kelly Cohen and Joe O’Connor reported that they saw notices of future herbicide use near the Mayhew Drain.
    2. California-American Water Meeting for May
      Joe O’Connor reported that he and Gay Jones had met with Joyce Steingass, a staff person for the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC).  Joe stated that California-American Water (Cal Am) rates had increased 232% in less than 7 years, and they will be asking for more increases in the near future.There was discussion about having Cal Am representatives come to a BRECA meeting.  It was agreed to have the Cal Am representatives come to a July or August meeting.  It was also agreed to have the CPUC representative come to the May BRECA meeting.
    3. Parkway Budget
      Jim Morgan reported on an informational meeting held by Sacramento County Parks staff concerning funding for the coming fiscal year (2010-11).  Jim stated that the County is proposing to cut the budgets of many departments and units, including Parks.  A considerable part of the Parks budget is self-funded, but some of it is contributed from County taxes.  Reductions to the County funded part of the budget are projected by Parks staff to result in substantial reductions in Parks personnel, including rangers.  Jim also stated that the budget information that is available is incomplete and difficult to understand.  Jim will try to get better information and prepare a proposal for a BRECA position for May BRECA meeting.
    4. Steering Committee Elections
      Jim Morgan reported that nominations for Steering Committee had been received.  The ballots will be mailed in May.
  5. New Business
    1. Neighborhood Watch
      Kelly Cohen stated that she is interested in facilitating the formation of Neighborhood Watch groups.  She will put together a presentation for the June BRECA meeting.
    2. Traffic Management
      Kelly Cohen reported that there had been a traffic management meeting held by Sacramento County staff on April 8.  She stated that a considerable number of people attended the meeting.  The County is considering installing speed bumps or speed tables (long raised areas) on Mira Del Rio, Butterfield, Stoughton, Kansas and Linda Rio.  Gay Jones stated that the County will send ballots to people who live or are owners of property on the affected streets.  For the proposal to go forward, a majority of the ballots must be returned, and a majority of the ballots returned must be in favor of the proposal.  Final approval would be given by the Board of Supervisors.Gay asked whether BRECA should support the proposal.  Discussion of the proposal was limited because available information, such as actual locations, was incomplete.  Opposition was voiced to some of the proposed locations, and support was voiced for some of the locations.  No position was taken on the proposal.
    3. Issues from the Floor
      Stan Mofjeld stated that the older playground equipment had been removed from Riviera East Park.  Stan had talked to the director of the Cordova Recreation and Park District, who stated that there were new safety requirements that the older equipment did not meet, and so it was removed. Stan stated that there is a Park Board meeting tomorrow, and suggested that BRECA support replacing the equipment.Gay Jones suggested language for a motion: BRECA requests appropriate replacement of the removed playground equipment at Riviera East Park as soon as possible.  There was discussion of the language.  Stan Mofjeld made a motion to adopt the proposed language.  Jim Morgan seconded the motion.  The motion was approved unanimously.
  6. Meeting adjourned.

The next Steering Committee meeting will be held on May 25, 2010 at the Rancho Cordova Library.

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.