Agenda: 11-18-2019 BRECA Steering Committee Meeting

The monthly meeting of the Butterfield-Riviera East Community Association Steering Committee is open to all members of the community. Join us to share your concerns and provide your feedback on issues related to our neighborhood. This month’s meeting includes a presentation of the final plans for the Bradshaw Apartments by Rashad Mammadov. You can review the updated proposal here.

November 18th, 2019 6:30 pm
Cordova Library
9845 Folsom Blvd
Sacramento, CA

  1. Call to Order
  2. Bradshaw Apartments Presentation – Rashad Mammadov
  3. Welcome and Introductions
  4. Questions or Comments from the community on non-agenda items
  5. Approval of Minutes 
    1. October 2019
  6. Reports
    1. Treasurer – Andrea
    2. Membership
      • Welcome Packet Distribution Update – Jim
      • Membership report – Jim
  7. Old Business
    1. BRECA Newsletter Update – Jim
    2. Update on Tree Planting
    3. From the Floor
  8. New Business
    1. Holiday Party Planning
    2. From the Floor

Adjourn to next meeting. December 17, 2019 6:30 PM. Cordova Library.

Download a print the agenda here.

BRECA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes – October 22, 2019

BUTTERFIELD-RIVIERA EAST COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

DATE: October 22, 2019
PLACE:  Rancho Cordova Library, 9845 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento, California
MEETING TYPE:  BRECA Steering Committee Meeting

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT

James Adams
Lori Christensen
Ken Crawford
Bonnie Domeny
Gay Jones
Lee Leavelle
Jim Morgan
Andrea White

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBER ABSENT

Rene Hamlin

NUMBER OF GUESTS/MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC: 4

  1. Call to Order by Chair Bonnie Domeny
  2. Welcome and Introductions
  3. Questions or Comments from the Membership/Community on Non-Agenda items.
    There were no questions or comments from the membership or community.
  1. Minutes
    Gay Jones made a motion to adopt the draft minutes for September 24, 2019.  James Adams seconded the motion.  The motion was adopted unanimously.
  1. Reports
    1. Treasurer
      Andrea White (Treasurer) distributed a handout of BRECA profit and loss budget vs. actual so far this year.  She noted that the BRECA bank balance was $4,570.02.
      Bonnie Domeny enquired as to whether it was possible to bring historical income to the meeting, so that it could be compared to this year.  Andrea responded that it could be brought to the next meeting.
      Jim Morgan enquired whether the money for the Welcome Packets, which was approved before the expenditure, should be considered as part of the budgeted funds.  Andrea responded that we are doing a constant budget, with overages approved as needed.
    2. CORPAC
      Lee Leavelle stated that there was a Cordova Community Planning and Advisory Council (CORPAC) meeting this month.  He stated that they considered the Environmental Impact Report for the Jackson township specific plan.  Most discussion was about traffic.  They voted to recommend approval of the specific plan.Gay Jones noted that County Planning has made recommendations for changes to the Community Planning and Advisory Councils (CPACs).  The biggest would be to remove the CPACs’ ability to file an appeal of decisions made by County Planning.  Otherwise it would cost $5,000 for an individual to file an appeal.  County Planning was supposed to circulate a report to the CPACs, but it is not out.  However, the Planning Commission is scheduled to vote on the report on Monday, October 28.  CORPAC voted to request an extension to study the proposal.  Lori Christensen enquired who was behind the proposal.  Gay stated that developers appeared to be behind the proposal, saying that the current procedures result in unnecessary delays.  However, most delays come from incomplete plans.  Lee Leavelle stated that the proposal is couched as responding to delays in getting housing approved.
    3. Membership
      Jim Morgan reported that two more Welcome Packets were delivered this month, for a total of 43.
      Jim also reported that there were no changes in BRECA membership this month.  BRECA has 99 memberships.
  1. Old Business
    1. Update on Bradshaw/Folsom Apartments Proposal
      Lee Leavelle stated that at the last BRECA meeting we had selected a small committee to meet with Mr. Mammadov (the developer).  Two meetings were held, with County Supervisor Don Nottoli facilitating.  People at the first meeting addressed their concerns to Mr. Mammadov.  He came back at the second meeting with modified plans that addressed those concerns.  In particular, the changes included rearranging the buildings to reduce impacts on two big trees on the north side of the property, making the apartments two stories instead of three on the north side, increasing the available parking by reducing the number of units, placing a sound wall on the north side, and putting larger trees on the north side.Lee stated that Mr. Mammdov did not have to make those changes.  However, he wants our support so that he does not have to use SB 35 and pay prevailing wages during construction.  He has also commissioned an arborists report, which will be incorporated into plans.  When complete the plans will be submitted to the County.Lori Christensen stated that she is concerned that people who were not involved may want more changes.  Bonnie Domeny stated that we have done our due diligence, having posted the plans to the BRECA website and placed notifications on Nextdoor.  The immediate neighbors were satisfied with the changes.  The committee’s recommendation is to support the plan.  Jim Morgan suggested that Mr. Mammadov come to the November meeting.  The Steering Committee could take a position then.Gay Jones stated that the changes should be considered as revisions, not concessions.  She does not believe Mr. Mammadov would use SB 35.  Bonnie commented that Mr. Mammadov gave his worst case scenario in June, so that he can look good when he pulls back from some parts.  A member of the audience commented that we are very lucky he pulled back on the three stories on the north side.  It could have been five stories, as is being done at other locations in Sacramento.

      Lori Christensen recalled that at the June meeting there was also concern about traffic.  She enquired whether the County will do a traffic study.  Ken Crawford stated there will not be a traffic study because the proposal is on a transit corridor.

      Andrea White enquired whether we are expecting a formal position from BRECA.  She stated that she would be reluctant to support the project, but would support neutrality.

      Gay Jones stated that a lot of the progress is due to Don Nottoli’s facilitating community input.

    2. Scheduling Meeting on Presentation of Bradshaw Apartments Proposal
      Bonnie Domeny stated that we should invite Mr. Mammadov to our November meeting.  There was discussion of whether November 26 worked for people, as some people may be out of town.  Lee Leavelle and Andrea White stated that they were unavailable for the 26th.  Bonnie suggested changing the date to the 19th.  It was noted that Mr. Mammadov and Supervisor Nottoli need to be notified of the change.  Lori Christensen volunteered to check with the Library to see if the meeting room is available on that date.  It was also suggested that the church meeting room could be an alternative.
    3. Picnic
      Lori Christensen thanked the people who helped put on the BRECA Picnic: Bonnie Domeny, Rene Hamlin, Andrea White, and Jim Morgan.  She noted that the picnic was on a Saturday this year, but was on a Sunday last year.  There were about the same number of people attending.  Bonnie Domeny stated that there is a reason for choosing Sunday, as Saturday is traditionally sports.  Andrea White suggested that BRECA could do a generic banner similar to the Easter Egg Hunt banner.  We would have to pick one particular day.  Bonnie commented that she liked the idea of a banner for the picnic.
    4. Newsletter
      Jim Morgan reviewed the people who had volunteered to write articles for the upcoming Newsletter, and reminded people that the deadline for drafts is November 5.
    5. From the Floor
      James Adams commented that the Little Free Library is about half full.  Bonnie Domeny stated that she keeps an eye on it, and asks Rene Hamlin to get more books from the thrift store when it gets low.
  1. New Business
    1. Tree Planting
      A member of the audience stated that he had been communicating with people about tree planting in Riviera East Park.  He has coordinated with the Sacramento Tree Foundation and Cordova Recreation and Park District (CRPD).  They have chosen a date: November 23.  They would like to get about 60 volunteers. He also wants BRECA’s endorsement.  There was discussion of some details of the project.  Bonnie enquired whether we could use the BRECA email list to inform people.  It was agreed to do so.  Andrea White commented that typically the CRPD Board would also be invited.
    2. Sacramento Municipal Utility District Correspondence
      Gay Jones reported that the Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) is looking for ways to communicate with communities on urgent and non-urgent issues.  Gay commented that this is not our responsibility.  Bonnie Domeny stated that she had responded to the SMUD questionnaire.  She also contacted Nextdoor, and they said that SMUD could do a sponsored page, which would cost money.  It was generally agreed that this is not our issue.
    3. From the Floor
      Gay Jones commented that a company is laying fiber optic cables on Stoughton.  Gay stated that they are using Stoughton and Mira Del Rio as a back route because Folsom Blvd. is not available.
      Gay reported that Metro Fire is doing a Community Emergency Response Team training in November.  Interested people should contact Gay.
      James Adams commented that there is a new California American Water General Rate Case starting.  Gay suggested that a better use of our volunteer resources is to work with the Office of Ratepayer Advocates.  [Secretary’s note: The Office of Ratepayer Advocates is now called the Public Advocates Office.]
  1. Meeting adjourned.

The next meeting will be a Steering Committee Meeting in November 2019, at a date and place to be determined.

Agenda: 10-22-2019 BRECA Steering Committee Meeting

The monthly meeting of the Butterfield-Riviera East Community Association Steering Committee is open to all members of the community. Join us to share your concerns and provide your feedback on issues related to our neighborhood. This month’s meeting includes an update on the Bradshaw Apartments. You can review the updated proposal here.

October 22nd, 2019 6:30 pm
Rancho Cordova Library
9845 Folsom Blvd
Sacramento, CA

  1. Call to Order
  2. Welcome and Introductions
  3. Questions or Comments from the community on non-agenda items
  4. Approval of Minutes 
    • September 2019
  5. Reports
    • Treasurer – Andrea
    • CORPAC – Gay
    • Membership
      1. Welcome Packet Distribution Update – Jim
      2. Membership report – Jim
  6. Old Business
    • Update on Bradshaw Apartments – Lee
    • Schedule meeting on presentation for Bradshaw Apartments – Bonnie
    • Annual Picnic Recap– Lori
    • BRECA newsletter update – Jim
    • From the floor

  7. New Business
    • Confirm date for November Steering Committee Meeting – Bonnie
    • Tree Planting – Jay
    • SMUD correspondence – Gay
    • From the floor

Adjourn to next meeting. November 26, 2019 6:30 PM. Cordova Library.

Download and print the agenda.

BRECA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes – September 24, 2019

BUTTERFIELD-RIVIERA EAST COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

DATE: September 24, 2019
PLACE:  Rancho Cordova Library, 9845 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento, California
MEETING TYPE:  BRECA Steering Committee Meeting

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT

James Adams
Lori Christensen
Ken Crawford
Bonnie Domeny
Rene Hamlin
Lee Leavelle
Jim Morgan
Andrea White

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBER ABSENT

Gay Jones

NUMBER OF GUESTS/MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC: 10

  1. Call to Order by Chair Bonnie Domeny
  2. Welcome and Introductions
  3. Questions or Comments from the Membership/Community on Non-Agenda items.
    There were no questions or comments from the membership or community.
  1. Minutes
    James Adams made a motion to adopt the draft minutes for August 27, 2019.  Rene Hamlin seconded the motion.  The motion was adopted with seven in favor and one abstention.
  1. Reports
    1. Treasurer
      Andrea White (Treasurer) distributed a handout of BRECA profit and loss budget vs. actual so far this year.  She noted that the BRECA bank balance was $4,734.59.
    2. CORPAC
      Lee Leavelle stated that there was a Cordova Community Planning and Advisory Council (CORPAC) meeting this month.  He stated that a plan to split the ARCO gas station site at Keifer and Bradshaw was considered and approved.  There were no other items of direct relevance to BRECA.
    3. Outreach Committee
      Rene Hamlin reported that the Outreach Committee put out the picnic announcements and that she is making phone calls for the picnic.
    4. Membership
      Jim Morgan reported that he now has complete Welcome Packets ready for distribution.  He has also sent out an email with new and old addresses for distribution.  So far, none have been delivered.
      Jim Morgan reported that BRECA had one new member this month.  It was an address that received a Welcome Packet four months ago.  One existing member was removed after three reminder notices and Post Office notification that he had moved out of the BRECA area.  BRECA now has 99 memberships.
  1. Old Business
    1. Update on Bradshaw/Folsom Apartments Proposal
      Lee Leavelle gave a brief review of developments for people who were not at previous meetings.  He stated that the developer (Mr. Mammadov) gave a presentation at the June BRECA meeting, and that the community spoke against the proposal.  A few days later, Mr. Mammadov sent a revised proposal to Lee which was better for adjacent neighbors.  In particular it reduced the height of the apartments on the north side, next to existing single family residences, to two stories, with the south side remaining 3 stories.  The revised proposal would also plant mature trees along the north side, and install a 10 feet tall sound wall on the north side.  The total number of units would be reduced from 68 to 65, which would help a bit with the parking.  Lee did not know what to do with the revised proposal.  He sent it to the BRECA Apartments Committee, and chatted with the neighbors on Elmira.  He found no interest in the revised proposal.  At the next BRECA Steering Committee meeting, it was decided to send a letter to Mr. Mammadov stating that the community was opposed to the original proposal and there was no interest in the revised proposal.Lee stated that the BRECA Apartments Committee has been researching the zoning and other regulations relevant to the project.  There are two state laws, SB 35 and the Housing Density Bonus, and one County level program, the Housing Incentive Program, that work in favor of the project.  The Committee has come to the conclusion that the project is going to get built.  He suggested that BRECA should do what we can to mitigate the impacts on the community.  There is a meeting coming up with Mr. Mammadov, sponsored by County Supervisor Nottoli, where we can re-engage with Mr. Mammadov.Rebecca Sloan, with Supervisor Nottoli’s office, noted that Supervisor Nottoli has had several conversations with Mr. Mammadov, and is familiar with the project.

      A member of the audience stated that they live on Elmira Circle adjacent to the proposed project.  There is an enormous oak tree near the fence in their back yard, which has a large dripline.  They are concerned about the impact of the project on the tree.  Mr. Mammadov has offered to write a contract for the tree’s health.  They do not like the prospect of three story apartments overlooking their back yard.  They could work with two stories and a 10 feet sound wall.  Also, there has been a problem with campers and drugs on the property for several years.

      Lee Leavelle stated that Mr. Mammadov has offered concessions so that he would not have to build under SB 35.  If he had to build under SB 35, he would have to pay prevailing wage (i.e. union rates), which would cost him about $1.7 million.  BRECA would have to agree to the project.

      Jim Morgan stated that it is his understanding that if Mr. Mammadov is willing to pay prevailing wages under SB 35 and have 10% low income units, there is nothing BRECA can do to stop the project.  If it goes that way, it will probably be like the project presented at the June BRECA meeting, which would be bad for the community.  The only way out would be if BRECA and Mr. Mammadov are both willing to negotiate a compromise, then Mr. Mammodov could go through the normal County approval process and not have to pay prevailing wage.  This would require BRECA to either be neutral or support the project.

      A member of the audience stated that their main concern is privacy, and that the soundwall, two stories, and large trees is all to the good.

      Jim Morgan pointed out that negotiations with Mr. Mammadov could begin at the meeting coming up on Thursday, September 26.  He raised the question of whether BRECA is willing to enter negotiations.

      Bonnie Domeny commented that Supervisor Nottoli had requested that Mr. Mammadov hold off on submitting his application to the County.  James Adams commented that if the meeting on Thursday does not go well, Mr. Mammadov could still go with the SB 35 route.  Lori Christensen requested a summary after the meeting.  Bonnie stated that a summary would go to the community as well.  She also stated that Supervisor Nottoli has two goals: to fulfill the County’s requirements for new housing and to help out the local community.  A member of the community raised a question about management, and how to keep it nice over time.

      Bonnie Domeny summarized the discussion thus far as voicing concerns about oak trees, privacy, financing and management.  People like the 10 feet sound wall, two stories on the north side, and large box trees.

      A member of the audience added that they have concerns about traffic, as there will be a lot of people coming in and out.  Also, this is a bad location for a large complex.  Ken Crawford stated that the project is near a transportation hub, so there won’t be a traffic study.  Jim Morgan added that parking is also a problem, and the project needs visitor parking.  The number of units could be reduced by combining the studio plus one bedroom units into two bedroom units.

      A member of the audience stated that they live next to the proposed project, and they would like to have more setback from the residential neighborhood on the north, and two stories.  He raised a question about the various state and local programs that facilitate the project: If more than one requires 10% low income, do they add to 20% or 30%?

      Bonnie Domeny commented that she thinks the project is going to happen, and we should work with the developer to make the most benefit for the community.  Jim Morgan requested a clear statement: Are we willing to make a deal if it is the right deal?  Bonnie stated that we want the most we can get, but it may be limited.  Lee Leavelle stated that we want to cut the best deal for the community.

    2. Great American River Clean Up
      Lori Christensen stated that the American River Parkway Foundation sponsored the Great American River Clean Up.  There were 20 sites on the American River Parkway.  The Gristmill site had about 30 people, including canoers and kayakers, who floated down to Watt Ave.  Including the riverside pickup, there were about 500 pounds of trash picked up.
    3. Picnic
      Lori Christensen commented that the annual BRECA Picnic is coming Saturday.  They have sent out a flyer, and made calls to BRECA members.
    4. From the Floor
      There was no Old Business from the floor.
  1. New Business
    1. BRECA Newsletter
      Jim Morgan stated that we would like to get the next BRECA Newsletter out in November.  He read a list of articles and topics, and solicited volunteers.
    2. From the Floor
      There was no New Business from the floor.
  1. Meeting adjourned.

The next meeting will be a Steering Committee Meeting on Tuesday, October 22, 2019, at the Rancho Cordova Library.

Agenda: 9-24-2019 BRECA Steering Committee Meeting

The monthly meeting of the Butterfield-Riviera East Community Association Steering Committee is open to all members of the community. Join us to share your concerns and provide your feedback on issues related to our neighborhood.

This month’s meeting includes a discussion on the Bradshaw Apartments. We are taking comments to share with Supervisor Nottoli and the developer. We hope to see you there!

September 24th, 2019 6:30 pm
Rancho Cordova Library
9845 Folsom Blvd
Sacramento, CA

  1. Call to Order
  2. Welcome and Introductions
  3. Questions or Comments from the community on non-agenda items
  4. Approval of Minutes
    • August 2019
  5. Reports
    • Treasurer – Andrea
    • CORPAC – Lee
    • Outreach Committee – Rene
    • Membership
      • Welcome Packet Distribution Update – Jim
      • Membership report – Jim
  6. Old Business
    • Update on Bradshaw Apartments – Lee
      • Notice of meeting with Supervisor Nottoli and Rashad Mammadov
    • Annual Picnic, Sept 28 – Lori
    • Great American River Clean Up Recap – Lori
    • From the floor
  7. New Business
    • BRECA Newsletter – Jim
    • From the floor

Adjourn to next meeting. October 22, 2019 6:30 PM. Cordova Library.

Downloand and print the BRECA Agenda 9-24-19