Agenda – Steering Committee Meeting 02-25-2020

February 25th, 2020 6:30 pm
Rancho Cordova Library
9845 Folsom Blvd
Sacramento, CA

  1. Call to Order
  2. Welcome and Introductions
  3. Questions or Comments from the community on non-agenda items
  4. Approval of Minutes
    • January 2020
  5. Reports
    • Treasurer – Andrea
    • CORPAC – Gay & Lee
      • Folsom Blvd Sidewalks
      • Hazel Ave Over-Cross
    • Membership
      • Welcome Packet Distribution Update – Jim
      • Membership report – Jim
  6. Old Business
    • Bradshaw Apartments
    • Illegal and non-resident parking on Butterfield Dr – Bonnie
    • Cal Am – Gay / James
    • From the floor
  7. New Business
    • 2020 Budget – Andrea & Committee
    • Annual Meeting
    • Egg Hunt
    • May is Bike Month
    • From the floor

Adjourn to next meeting. March 24, 2020 6:30 PM. Cordova Library.

Download and print here.

Agenda: 01-28-2020 BRECA Steering Committee Meeting

The monthly meeting of the Butterfield-Riviera East Community Association Steering Committee is open to all members of the community. Join us to share your concerns and provide your feedback on issues related to our neighborhood.

January 28th, 2020 6:30 pm
Rancho Cordova Library
9845 Folsom Blvd
Sacramento, CA

  1. Call to Order
  2. Welcome and Introductions
  3. Questions or Comments from the community on non-agenda items
  4. Approval of Minutes
    1. November 2019
  5. Reports
    1. Treasurer – Andrea
    2. CORPAC – Gay & Lee
    3. Membership
      • Welcome Packet Distribution Update – Jim
      • Membership report – Jim
  6. Old Business
    1. Bradshaw Apartments
    2. Cal Am – Gay / James / Andrea
    3. Holiday Party recap
    4. From the floor
  7. New Business
    1. Illegal and non-resident parking on Butterfield Dr
    2. BRECA Calendar 2020
    3. BRECA Instagram
    4. In Memoriam of Stan Mojfield
    5. From the floor

Adjourn to next meeting. February 25, 2020 6:30 PM.

Download and print the agenda here.

BRECA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes – Nov 18, 2019

DATE: November 18, 2019
PLACE:  Rancho Cordova Library, 9845 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento, California
MEETING TYPE:  BRECA Steering Committee Meeting

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT

James Adams
Lori Christensen
Bonnie Domeny
Gay Jones
Lee Leavelle
Jim Morgan
Andrea White

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS ABSENT

Ken Crawford
Rene Hamlin

NUMBER OF GUESTS/MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC: 8

  1. Call to Order by Chair Bonnie Domeny
  2. Bradshaw Apartments Presentation – Rashad MammadovRashad Mammadov gave a presentation on the proposed Bradshaw at Folsom Apartments, and answered questions afterwards.  He stated that the address for the proposed apartments is 9545 Folsom Blvd.  It will have two and three story apartments, with a total of 62 units.  These will include two bedroom, one bedroom and studio units.  The parts of the apartments facing Folsom Blvd. will be three stories, and the parts of the apartments facing the residential neighbors will be two stories.  Estimated rent for the two bedroom units is $1,700 per month, for the one bedroom units is $1,550 per month, and for the studio units is $1,100 to $1,200 per month.  He noted that the current plans are generally similar to the plans on the BRECA web site.One question concerned the sort of trees to be used as a barrier between the apartments and the residential area.  Mr. Mammadov responded that they have not determined this yet.  Another question concerned access for handicapped.  Mr. Mammadov responded that all apartments on the first floor are ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) accessible, as is parking.  Another question concerned how long security will be provided.  Mr. Mammadov responded that they plan to have patrols every few hours once the apartments are constructed.  There will also be an on-site manager.A further question concerned the number of parking spaces.  Mr. Mammadov responded that there will be 72 parking spaces, including two motorcycles, and three ADA.  Another question concerned status of the application.  Mr. Mammadov stated that they have sent drawings to County Planning, and hope to submit an application next week.  Another question concerned traffic impacts and studies.  Mr. Mammadov responded that they are not required to do traffic studies for a design review application due to the size of the project.  Another question concerned prevailing wages.  Mr. Mammadov responded that they do not plan to pay prevailing wages.  A final question concerned timelines.  Mr. Mammadov responded that they expect to start 6 months after the project is approved, and complete construction in 12 months.  So, move in would be in 2022.
  1. Welcome and Introductions
  2. Questions or Comments from the Membership/Community on Non-Agenda items.
    There were no questions or comments from the membership or community.
  1. Minutes
    Some changes were proposed and accepted to the draft minutes of October 22, 2019.  Lori Christensen made a motion to adopt the amended draft minutes.  James Adams seconded the motion.  The motion was adopted unanimously.
  1. Reports
    1. Treasurer
      Andrea White (Treasurer) distributed a handout of BRECA profit and loss, budget vs. actual so far this year.  She noted that the BRECA bank balance was $4,633.05.
    2. CORPAC
      Lee Leavelle stated that there was no Cordova Community Planning and Advisory Council (CORPAC) meeting this month.  He stated that there was activity on the proposal from County Planning to change the way that the Community Planning and Advisory Councils (CPACs) work.  Two of the main concerns had been that the proposal would have eliminated the ability of the CPACs to file a free appeal of County Planning Commission decisions, and to eliminated votes on projects, but only have discussions.  A final proposal from County Planning was scheduled to go to the Planning Commission without having been reviewed by the CPACs.  Gay Jones (Chair of CORPAC) filed a formal request for delay so that the proposal could be reviewed by the CPACs.  The request was denied.  They were given the final proposal with 5 days to review before the Planning Commission meeting.  They took no exception to the proposed changes, which did not include either of the above proposals.  Gay Jones sent a note stating that they were okay with the final proposal.Gay Jones noted that the final proposal was approved by the Planning Commission, and now goes to the Board of Supervisors.  It turns out that other CPACs had similar concerns to CORPAC.Gay Jones also noted that the next CORPAC meeting would deal with a non-conforming use: The application for a Sober Living Transitional Housing on Wild Rose Way (in Rosemont).  The use would be non-conforming due to an excessive number of dwelling units for the area.
    3. Membership
      Jim Morgan reported that a total of 51 Welcome Packets have been delivered.
      Jim also reported that there were no changes in BRECA membership this month.  BRECA has 99 memberships.
  1. Old Business
    1. BRECA Newsletter Update
      Jim Morgan reported that the Newsletter is ready to go to Rick Sloan for pictures and graphics.  It should be coming out in early December.
    2. Tree Planting
      Bonnie Domeny stated that 60 people have volunteered for the tree planting in Riviera East Park.  Registration is now closed.  There will be 18 trees planted.  Lee Leavelle asked if the trees would need to be watered.  Andrea White volunteered to ask at the Cordova Registration and Park management meeting.  She stated that maintenance people keep an eye on the trees.
    3. From the Floor
      James Adams enquired whether the Bradshaw Apartments proposal is moving okay, and whether the people present are okay with the plan as submitted.  Lee Leavelle stated that it seems okay to him, we received no negative feedback from the community at the presentation earlier (see item 2).  Bonnie Domeny stated that she did not think we need to take a formal stand.  Gay Jones stated we should not rush to judgment: Let’s see what Mr. Mammadov actually submits to the County.  There may still be outstanding issues.  Jim Morgan stated that Mr. Mammadov needs deviations from County codes, which have to be approved by County Planning.  It is likely it will come before CORPAC.  Mr. Mammadov has made significant improvements compared to the June version of the proposal.  Lee Leavelle commented that this is an example of the community working with the developer to make it easier to get approval of the project.  However, there will be ongoing changes as the project progresses through the approval process.  Lori Christensen commented that we can revisit the issue at the next Steering Committee meeting in January.
      Gay Jones commented that the yellow locker is still on the south side of Folsom Blvd. opposite 9545 Folsom Blvd.  She urged people to call 311 and make a complaint.
  1. New Business
    1. Holiday Party Planning
      Bonnie Domeny commented that the meeting on December 17, Tuesday, is scheduled as the holiday party.  Lori Christensen commented that last year at Brookside was nice, and we ordered appetizers.  Bonnie volunteered to call Brookside and get a reservation.  Jim Morgan commented that we did a flyer last year.  There was discussion of the details.
    2. From the Floor
      Bonnie Domeny commented that the Hyannis Way Neighborhood Watch met.  About 30 people attended.
  1. Meeting adjourned.

The next meeting will be a Steering Committee Meeting on Tuesday, January 28, 2020, at the Rancho Cordova Library.

Agenda: 11-18-2019 BRECA Steering Committee Meeting

The monthly meeting of the Butterfield-Riviera East Community Association Steering Committee is open to all members of the community. Join us to share your concerns and provide your feedback on issues related to our neighborhood. This month’s meeting includes a presentation of the final plans for the Bradshaw Apartments by Rashad Mammadov. You can review the updated proposal here.

November 18th, 2019 6:30 pm
Cordova Library
9845 Folsom Blvd
Sacramento, CA

  1. Call to Order
  2. Bradshaw Apartments Presentation – Rashad Mammadov
  3. Welcome and Introductions
  4. Questions or Comments from the community on non-agenda items
  5. Approval of Minutes 
    1. October 2019
  6. Reports
    1. Treasurer – Andrea
    2. Membership
      • Welcome Packet Distribution Update – Jim
      • Membership report – Jim
  7. Old Business
    1. BRECA Newsletter Update – Jim
    2. Update on Tree Planting
    3. From the Floor
  8. New Business
    1. Holiday Party Planning
    2. From the Floor

Adjourn to next meeting. December 17, 2019 6:30 PM. Cordova Library.

Download a print the agenda here.

BRECA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes – October 22, 2019

BUTTERFIELD-RIVIERA EAST COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

DATE: October 22, 2019
PLACE:  Rancho Cordova Library, 9845 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento, California
MEETING TYPE:  BRECA Steering Committee Meeting

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT

James Adams
Lori Christensen
Ken Crawford
Bonnie Domeny
Gay Jones
Lee Leavelle
Jim Morgan
Andrea White

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBER ABSENT

Rene Hamlin

NUMBER OF GUESTS/MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC: 4

  1. Call to Order by Chair Bonnie Domeny
  2. Welcome and Introductions
  3. Questions or Comments from the Membership/Community on Non-Agenda items.
    There were no questions or comments from the membership or community.
  1. Minutes
    Gay Jones made a motion to adopt the draft minutes for September 24, 2019.  James Adams seconded the motion.  The motion was adopted unanimously.
  1. Reports
    1. Treasurer
      Andrea White (Treasurer) distributed a handout of BRECA profit and loss budget vs. actual so far this year.  She noted that the BRECA bank balance was $4,570.02.
      Bonnie Domeny enquired as to whether it was possible to bring historical income to the meeting, so that it could be compared to this year.  Andrea responded that it could be brought to the next meeting.
      Jim Morgan enquired whether the money for the Welcome Packets, which was approved before the expenditure, should be considered as part of the budgeted funds.  Andrea responded that we are doing a constant budget, with overages approved as needed.
    2. CORPAC
      Lee Leavelle stated that there was a Cordova Community Planning and Advisory Council (CORPAC) meeting this month.  He stated that they considered the Environmental Impact Report for the Jackson township specific plan.  Most discussion was about traffic.  They voted to recommend approval of the specific plan.Gay Jones noted that County Planning has made recommendations for changes to the Community Planning and Advisory Councils (CPACs).  The biggest would be to remove the CPACs’ ability to file an appeal of decisions made by County Planning.  Otherwise it would cost $5,000 for an individual to file an appeal.  County Planning was supposed to circulate a report to the CPACs, but it is not out.  However, the Planning Commission is scheduled to vote on the report on Monday, October 28.  CORPAC voted to request an extension to study the proposal.  Lori Christensen enquired who was behind the proposal.  Gay stated that developers appeared to be behind the proposal, saying that the current procedures result in unnecessary delays.  However, most delays come from incomplete plans.  Lee Leavelle stated that the proposal is couched as responding to delays in getting housing approved.
    3. Membership
      Jim Morgan reported that two more Welcome Packets were delivered this month, for a total of 43.
      Jim also reported that there were no changes in BRECA membership this month.  BRECA has 99 memberships.
  1. Old Business
    1. Update on Bradshaw/Folsom Apartments Proposal
      Lee Leavelle stated that at the last BRECA meeting we had selected a small committee to meet with Mr. Mammadov (the developer).  Two meetings were held, with County Supervisor Don Nottoli facilitating.  People at the first meeting addressed their concerns to Mr. Mammadov.  He came back at the second meeting with modified plans that addressed those concerns.  In particular, the changes included rearranging the buildings to reduce impacts on two big trees on the north side of the property, making the apartments two stories instead of three on the north side, increasing the available parking by reducing the number of units, placing a sound wall on the north side, and putting larger trees on the north side.Lee stated that Mr. Mammdov did not have to make those changes.  However, he wants our support so that he does not have to use SB 35 and pay prevailing wages during construction.  He has also commissioned an arborists report, which will be incorporated into plans.  When complete the plans will be submitted to the County.Lori Christensen stated that she is concerned that people who were not involved may want more changes.  Bonnie Domeny stated that we have done our due diligence, having posted the plans to the BRECA website and placed notifications on Nextdoor.  The immediate neighbors were satisfied with the changes.  The committee’s recommendation is to support the plan.  Jim Morgan suggested that Mr. Mammadov come to the November meeting.  The Steering Committee could take a position then.Gay Jones stated that the changes should be considered as revisions, not concessions.  She does not believe Mr. Mammadov would use SB 35.  Bonnie commented that Mr. Mammadov gave his worst case scenario in June, so that he can look good when he pulls back from some parts.  A member of the audience commented that we are very lucky he pulled back on the three stories on the north side.  It could have been five stories, as is being done at other locations in Sacramento.

      Lori Christensen recalled that at the June meeting there was also concern about traffic.  She enquired whether the County will do a traffic study.  Ken Crawford stated there will not be a traffic study because the proposal is on a transit corridor.

      Andrea White enquired whether we are expecting a formal position from BRECA.  She stated that she would be reluctant to support the project, but would support neutrality.

      Gay Jones stated that a lot of the progress is due to Don Nottoli’s facilitating community input.

    2. Scheduling Meeting on Presentation of Bradshaw Apartments Proposal
      Bonnie Domeny stated that we should invite Mr. Mammadov to our November meeting.  There was discussion of whether November 26 worked for people, as some people may be out of town.  Lee Leavelle and Andrea White stated that they were unavailable for the 26th.  Bonnie suggested changing the date to the 19th.  It was noted that Mr. Mammadov and Supervisor Nottoli need to be notified of the change.  Lori Christensen volunteered to check with the Library to see if the meeting room is available on that date.  It was also suggested that the church meeting room could be an alternative.
    3. Picnic
      Lori Christensen thanked the people who helped put on the BRECA Picnic: Bonnie Domeny, Rene Hamlin, Andrea White, and Jim Morgan.  She noted that the picnic was on a Saturday this year, but was on a Sunday last year.  There were about the same number of people attending.  Bonnie Domeny stated that there is a reason for choosing Sunday, as Saturday is traditionally sports.  Andrea White suggested that BRECA could do a generic banner similar to the Easter Egg Hunt banner.  We would have to pick one particular day.  Bonnie commented that she liked the idea of a banner for the picnic.
    4. Newsletter
      Jim Morgan reviewed the people who had volunteered to write articles for the upcoming Newsletter, and reminded people that the deadline for drafts is November 5.
    5. From the Floor
      James Adams commented that the Little Free Library is about half full.  Bonnie Domeny stated that she keeps an eye on it, and asks Rene Hamlin to get more books from the thrift store when it gets low.
  1. New Business
    1. Tree Planting
      A member of the audience stated that he had been communicating with people about tree planting in Riviera East Park.  He has coordinated with the Sacramento Tree Foundation and Cordova Recreation and Park District (CRPD).  They have chosen a date: November 23.  They would like to get about 60 volunteers. He also wants BRECA’s endorsement.  There was discussion of some details of the project.  Bonnie enquired whether we could use the BRECA email list to inform people.  It was agreed to do so.  Andrea White commented that typically the CRPD Board would also be invited.
    2. Sacramento Municipal Utility District Correspondence
      Gay Jones reported that the Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) is looking for ways to communicate with communities on urgent and non-urgent issues.  Gay commented that this is not our responsibility.  Bonnie Domeny stated that she had responded to the SMUD questionnaire.  She also contacted Nextdoor, and they said that SMUD could do a sponsored page, which would cost money.  It was generally agreed that this is not our issue.
    3. From the Floor
      Gay Jones commented that a company is laying fiber optic cables on Stoughton.  Gay stated that they are using Stoughton and Mira Del Rio as a back route because Folsom Blvd. is not available.
      Gay reported that Metro Fire is doing a Community Emergency Response Team training in November.  Interested people should contact Gay.
      James Adams commented that there is a new California American Water General Rate Case starting.  Gay suggested that a better use of our volunteer resources is to work with the Office of Ratepayer Advocates.  [Secretary’s note: The Office of Ratepayer Advocates is now called the Public Advocates Office.]
  1. Meeting adjourned.

The next meeting will be a Steering Committee Meeting in November 2019, at a date and place to be determined.