2018 Neighborhood Yard Sale

Come One Come All!

June 2, 2018   8 am – 2 pm
(some homes open earlier or closing later)
Drive, bike, or walk through the neighborhood
for great deals, eclectic finds!

 

Click Here for a map of the homes officially participating in the sale. And remember, others may be participating but not listed on the map, so keep your eyes open for those special finds!

 

Click here for a downloadable copy of the flyer.

Hand out to all your friends and neighbors!

 

If you live in the BRECA neighborhood and want to have your home added to the map, send an email before June 2nd, 2018 to or with your name and home address. We’ll add you to the map!

Join BRECA, and support YOUR community!  Click here to join!

BRECA Thrive Ride 2018

To Celebrate May is Bike Month join members of the BRECA Steering Committee the evening of May 23rd for the BRECA Thrive Ride.

We’ll have Lead Cycling Coach Julia Williams to on hand to lead the family bike ride through the neighborhood.

  • May 23rd
  • 5:30 pm bike clinic to prepare your bikes
  • Cordova Library – 9845 Folsom Blvd.
  • Safety lesson for bikers
  • 6:00 bike ride – about 3 miles in 30 minutes around the neighborhood
  • ~~~Ice Cream Social~~~ (Please register here by May 20th so we have enough for everyone)
  • fun, Fun FUN

BRECA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes 02-27-18

BUTTERFIELD-RIVIERA EAST COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

DATE: February 27, 2018
PLACE:  Rancho Cordova Library, 9845 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento, California
MEETING TYPE:  BRECA Steering Committee Meeting

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT
James Adams
Lori Christensen
Kelly Cohen
Bonnie Domeny
Lynda Hammitt
Gay Jones
Jim Morgan

 STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS ABSENT
Rene Hamlin
Andrea White

 NUMBER OF GUESTS/MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC: 10

  1. Call to Order by Chair Lynda Hammitt
  2. Minutes of January 23, 2017
    Lynda Hammitt stated that she would like some amendments to the minutes, and we should postpone consideration until the next meeting.  It was agreed to postpone consideration.
  1. Questions or comments from the membership/community
    There were no questions or comments from the membership or community.
  1. Reports
    1. Treasurer
      There was no treasurer’s report.
    2. CORPAC
      Gay Jones reported that the South Sacramento Habitat Conservation Plan is progressing, and is expected to be completed by the end of summer.  She also reported that an update to the Sacramento County Codes allowing “granny flats” on single family parcels is being developed.
    3. Outreach Committee
      Lynda Hammitt reported that the Outreach Committee had met on February 5, and discussed the Easter Egg Hunt and the BRECA General Meeting.Carmen Mitchell reported that the Easter Egg Hunt is to be held on Saturday, March 24.  Eggs have been purchased, and stuffing will be at Rene Hamlin’s house the Friday before the hunt.

      Lynda Hammitt stated that the speakers for the General Meeting on April 24 have mostly been contacted and agreed to speak.  She also stated that Rene Hamlin had received a quote of $716 for printing and distribution of the door hangers to advertise the meeting.  Jim Morgan stated that the cost of printing and mailing for the most recent flyer was $537.  Lynda Hammitt stated that the people who would be distributing the door hangers have been background checked, use colorful vests, and wear GPS tracking devices.  They are hoping for a better impact compared to mailing.

      Bonnie Domeny commented that the Outreach Committee is considering sponsorships to offset the cost of the door hangers.  Gay Jones stated that she would like to see other bids.  Also, if we are to do sponsorships or advertisements we need to check out the sponsors or advertisers on the Better Business Bureau, and other sources.  She stated that it is good to try out new processes, and that she would be agreeable to spending an extra $200 on the door hanger experiment.  Kelly Cohen asked if we need to vote on this.  It was agreed that we would vote when we get additional bids.  Lynda Hammitt proposed that there be additional discussion at the Outreach Committee, as we are getting short of time.  Jim Morgan stated that he would prefer that BRECA spend the additional $200, and that he was not comfortable with advertisements.  A person from the public (apparently one of the prospective sponsors/advertisers) stated that her flyers get people’s interest.  Another person from the public stated that he puts more credence in flyers with advertising.  Lynda Hammitt suggested that we continue the question by e-mail.

  1. Old Business
    1. California American Water
      Gay Jones stated that there are two cases concerning California American Water (Cal Am) that BRECA is involved in.  One is the General Rate Case.  According to Richard Rauschmeier with the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) Office of Ratepayer Advocates (ORA), a proposed decision is likely in July.  This has to do with the overall rate structure, and how much our water bills go up.  There is a delay in the timeline, due to the need to incorporate the new Federal tax laws into the calculations.The other case is about cost of capital.  It is to be heard March 22nd.  It is open to public comment now.  The Cal Am request is for 8.23% profit.  BRECA has sent a letter advocating 7.85%.  We need people to send letters or e-mails to the CPUC advocating the lower rate.  Gay will post a sample letter and contact information on this.  James Adams commented that we may want to comment on the ORA recommendations.
    2. Update on Former Church/School Site
      Kelly Cohen reported that the former church/school site on Folsom Blvd. now has 24 hour security, which is contracted by the bank that owns the property.  There is interest from a church group in purchasing the site.
      Father Hezekias stated that he is the pastor of St. George church, which is located in the Arden area.  It is a Catholic church from the Middle East.  They have about 150 people in the congregation.  They are interested in purchasing the old church/school property on Folsom Blvd.  They have insisted on security from the bank that owns the property.  They expect to use the main sanctuary building, and tear down the old buildings that were damaged by fire.  They hope to close the deal in 30 to 60 days, and move their community in 12 to 24 months.
    3. From the Floor
      There was no old business from the floor.
  1. New Business
    1. Arco Gas Station
      Lynda Hammitt stated that the proposed new Arco gas station on the north-east corner of Bradshaw Rd. and Folsom Blvd is on hold for now, due to a problem with an easement that runs through the property.  Gay Jones noted that the proponents are revising the proposal, and that it will go to the Cordova Community Planning and Advisory Committee (CORPAC).  Ken Crawford noted that there are 5 properties on that corner.  James Adams pointed out that a traffic analysis is needed.  Lori Christensen suggested an alternative site where the old Shell gas station was located on the corner of Oates Dr. and Bradshaw Rd.
    2. Sidewalks on Folsom Blvd.
      Gay Jones reported that she had received a Newsletter from the County that stated that there is funding for Phase 1 of the Folsom Blvd. Complete Streets project.  This involves installing a sidewalk on the south side of Folsom Blvd. from Mayhew Rd. to Bradshaw Rd.
    3. Neighborhood Bike Ride
      It was stated that we need to pick a date for the upcoming Neighborhood Bike Ride, sometime between May 21 and 25.  May 23 was agreed upon, to start at 6 pm.
    4. Marijuana Dispensaries and Applications
      Kelly Cohen stated that she would like to get a feel from the group about having a marijuana dispensary in the area.  Jim Morgan pointed out that this is not an issue as dispensaries are not allowed in the unincorporated County.
    5. Tree Maintenance Along Levee
      Bonnie Domeny stated that a person had posted on Nextdoor that the American River Flood Control District had performed maintenance on privately owned trees and bushes that were hanging over the landside easement (road).  One concern was that trees were cut lopsided.  Gay Jones and Bonnie agreed that there is a need to check out what happened.  A person from the audience stated that they saw people in a bucket go over the fence to cut a big tree.
    6. Posting of Newsletter to BRECA Website
      Jim Morgan pointed out that the BRECA Newsletter is not posted on the BRECA website, and asked why.  Bonnie Domeny stated that it is super time intensive, and she would like to have a digital version that is searchable.  The current format of the Newsletter is in .pdf, which is a picture.  Gay Jones stated that in the past one could read the Newsletter on the Website page by page, and that she viewed having the Newsletter on the Web site as really important.  Lynda Hammitt volunteered to work with Bonnie to get the Newsletter on the Web site.
    7. Renewal of Save the American River Association Membership
      Jim Morgan stated that BRECA had previously had a membership with the Save the American River Association (SARA).  SARA and BRECA are both interested in the condition of the American River Parkway in this area, so there is a confluence of interests.  The BRECA contribution to SARA was dropped several years ago, due to budget constraints during the recession.  However, SARA continued to keep BRECA on their membership list.  Recently SARA asked for a contribution.  Jim suggested this would be appropriate, as BRECA’s financial situation has improved greatly.  Gay Jones made a motion to renew BRECA’s contribution at $50 per year.  The motion was seconded by James Adams.  The motion was approved unanimously.
    8. From the Floor
      There was no new business from the floor.
  1. Meeting adjourned.

The next meeting will be a Steering Committee Meeting on Tuesday, March 27, 2018, at the Rancho Cordova Library.

Sacramento RT Community Survey

In the past 18 months, RT has made significant progress in improving its financial stability, increasing ridership, and heightening its commitment to clean, safe and convenient transit service. RT is excited to build upon this improvement through its newly proposed strategic vision that places an emphasis on developing community partnerships and operating a “Customer First” culture. RT is also implementing a route optimization study to inform service design enhancements, as well as a community survey to gather and analyze resident feedback.

Sacramento has changed significantly in the last 30 years and so must our public transportation infrastructure. As RT looks to the future, there are challenges ahead. Greater funding will be needed to repair and replace outdated equipment, implement new technology, and to increase/expand service. Compared to regions such as San Diego and Portland, RT is 3-6 times underfunded from local investment. We want to build community awareness around the current state of Sacramento public transit and what could be done with additional RT funding throughout the region.

Please  take a few minutes to take the survey

Survey Link: https://www.sacrt.com/communities.stm

Download these documents for more information.