BRECA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes 10-24-17

BUTTERFIELD-RIVIERA EAST COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

DATE: October 24, 2017
PLACE:  Rancho Cordova Library, 9845 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento, California
MEETING TYPE:  BRECA Steering Committee Meeting

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT

James Adams
Lori Christensen
Kelly Cohen
Rene Hamlin
Jim Morgan

 STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS ABSENT

Bonnie Domeny
Lynda Hammitt
Gay Jones
Andrea White

 NUMBER OF GUESTS/MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC: 1

  1. Call to Order by Acting Chair Jim Morgan
  2. Minutes of September 26, 2017
    Gay sent in her amendments to the draft September 2017 minutes. They were reviewed and accepted.  Kelly motioned to approve the amended draft minutes, James Adams seconded.  Unanimously Approved.
  1. Question or comments from the membership/community
    None
  1. Reports
    1. Treasurer
      No treasurer report. Treasurer absent.

      Budget Committee: Dues and contributions to be separated into two entities to track membership and donations, to start Jan 2018. There was consensus on this.

    2. CORPAC
      No report.
  1. Old Business
    1. California American Water Proceeding Update
      James Adams said we will wait until after the meetings for the decisions to see if they addressed our issues. James will talk with Gay about whether or not she agrees.
    2. BRECA Newsletter
      Jim Morgan reported that the newsletter is coming along, and may have to add another page.
  1. New Business
    1. From the Floor
      Discussed email from Gay forwarding comments from KC Sorgen about her visit to the Mayhew levee restoration site at Kansas access. KC asked about the removal of cages around  24 trees, including 3 dead trees.

      The Steering Committee agreed that we have no objection to removing the cages surrounding the three dead trees. It is unclear whether KC is proposing to remove only the three cages with dead trees or all 24 cages, so clarification from KC is needed.  Jim will recommend to Gay that she tell KC to remove the three dead tree cages.

      A photo of the watering cocoon was passed around. There is concern with people stepping on it and falling through.

  2. Meeting adjourned at 6:55 p.m.

The next meeting will be a Steering Committee Meeting on Tuesday, November 28, 2017, at the Rancho Cordova Library.

BRECA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes 9-26-17

BUTTERFIELD-RIVIERA EAST COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

DATE: September 26, 2017
PLACE:  Rancho Cordova Library, 9845 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento, California
MEETING TYPE:  BRECA Steering Committee Meeting

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT

James Adams
Lori Christensen
Kelly Cohen
Lynda Hammitt
Gay Jones
Jim Morgan
Andrea White

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS ABSENT

Bonnie Domeny
Rene Hamlin

 NUMBER OF GUESTS/MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC: 2

  1. Call to Order by Chair Lynda Hammitt

  2. Minutes of August 22, 2017
    A minor amendment was proposed and accepted to the draft minutes of August 22, 2017.  Jim Morgan made a motion to adopt the amended draft minutes.  James Adams seconded the motion.  The motion was approved with 6 votes in favor and one abstention.
  1. Question or comments from the membership/community
    None
  1. Reports
    1. Treasurer
      Treasurer Andrea White stated that the balance in the BRECA checking account is $5,469.99, and reviewed the treasurer’s report for September.

      There was discussion of the treasurer’s report. Gay Jones stated that she would be interested in knowing how much of the line “Member dues and contribution” was dues and how much was contributions.  Jim Morgan commented that separating the dues and contributions would have no clear benefit, as they are actually one revenue stream, and would involve considerable effort.  Gay suggested separating the two on a yearly basis.  Andrea White suggested starting to separate the two with the next budget cycle.  It was agreed that the Budget Committee would meet and come up with a recommendation for the November Steering Committee meeting.

    2. CORPAC
      Carmen Mitchell reported that the CORPAC (Cordova Community Planning and Advisory Council) meeting had been cancelled.
    3. Outreach Committee
      Lynda Hammitt reported that the Outreach Committee had met as the Picnic Committee, so there was no report from the Outreach Committee.
  1. Old Business
    1. California American Water Proceeding Update
      James Adams reported that, in addition to the California American Water (Cal Am) General Rate Case, there is also another application having to do with rate of return on capital.  The currently authorized rate of return is 9.99%, with Cal Am requesting a future rate of return of 10.8%, and the Office of Ratepayer Advocates (ORA) proposing 8.23%.  Kelly Cohen asked whether the rate of return is supposed to be 8%.  Gay Jones stated that this is a different issue, having to do with how much it costs to invest.  She also stated that Richard Rauschmeier, with the ORA, had sent us excerpts from the ORA report on rate of return on capital.  We may wish to send a BRECA letter concerning rate of return.
    2. Picnic
      The BRECA Annual Picnic was held on September 24, 2017.  There was general agreement that it went well.  Jim Morgan reported that 36 people had signed in (total number in parties).  While some people did not sign in, the number can be useful when compared to previous years.  The number signed in for 2016 was 42, for 2015 was 35, and 2014 was 30.  So, the number of people was down from 2016, but in the range of the previous three years.  Andrea White commented that people had fun at the bounce house.  Jim Morgan observed that there were a number of people using the bounce house who were not part of the picnic per se.  Lori Christensen suggested that there should be bounce house sign in sheet.  Kelly Cohen commented that we could get more people to come if they didn’t have to prepare a dish for the potluck.  Perhaps we could charge $2 or $3 for food instead.  Lori Christensen commented that if we did not know how many people wanted to do this, it could be a problem.  Jim Morgan commented that we got one new member at the picnic.
  1. New Business
    1. BRECA Newsletter
      Jim Morgan stated that he would like to get the BRECA Newsletter out earlier this year.  It was agreed to do so.  Several articles were assigned or volunteered for, with a target date for drafts of two weeks (October 10).
    2. Meeting with Rosemont Board Members
      Lynda Hammitt reported on her meeting with Terry Dugan, President of the Rosemont Community Association (RCA) concerning the West Jackson Highway Master Plan (WJHMP).  Mr. Dugan noted that the WJHMP is one of four large new development areas along Jackson Highway.  Lynda Hammitt distributed two handouts to the Steering Committee meeting, one a motion adopted by the RCA Board, and the other a list of options for responses to the WJHMP.  Mr. Dugan is concerned that Rosemont and the Butterfield-Riviera East areas could become an island surrounded by incorporated areas, resulting in declining services.  Mr. Dugan was interested in whether BRECA has given this any thought.

      Gay Jones commented that there has been no effort at the Local Agency Formation Commission to add the four new County development areas to Rancho Cordova.  Lynda Hammitt noted that any of the options on the second handout would be a lot of work.  Jim Morgan stated that he does not see the basis for the assertion of declining services.  Carmen Mitchell commented that the Rosemont people are worried about the impact on businesses on Kiefer Blvd.  Andrea White pointed out that for the Cordova Recreation and Park District, new developments pay for their own parks, so there should be no impact on existing services.  She also pointed out that annexing to the cities of Sacramento or Rancho Cordova would be very difficult.

      Gay Jones commented that this is an ongoing discussion, which we should revisit from time to time.  There was general agreement that BRECA’s principal interest in the proposed WJHMP concerns the traffic impacts on Bradshaw Road.  We need to stay in contact with Rosemont over traffic issues.  Jim Morgan noted that BRECA had already commented on the Notice Of Preparation for the Environmental Impact Report on the WJHMP, indicating our concern with traffic issues.  It was generally agreed that BRECA is not interested in the other options in the handouts, but that it is important to keep open our channels of communication with Rosemont and others.

    3. From the Floor
      Lori Christensen stated that County Supervisor Don Nottoli attended the BRECA picnic.  Supervisor Nottoli discussed the situation with the 14.5 acres property across Folsom Blvd. from the Butterfield Light Rail Station with Lori.  He said that he has not heard anything from the developers, and that he will be sure to support a park on site.  She also discussed the parking lot at the Butterfield Light Rail Station, and Regional Transit’s effort to develop the property.  Supervisor Nottoli stated that he has not heard any interest in the property.  Jim Morgan commented that Supervisor Nottoli had offered to have a meeting with Henry Li, the new head of Regional Transit, about the property.  Gay Jones commented that BRECA has a history of involvement with the parking lot, and supports keeping it as a park-and-ride.

      Kelly Cohen stated that she had talked with Supervisor Nottoli about Bradshaw Landing.  Supervisor Nottoli stated that the developer needs anchor tenants to do the development.  Kelly wondered whether we (BRECA) could help get an anchor tenant.  Gay Jones stated that it is inappropriate for BRECA to get involved with anything to do with an anchor tenant.  Also, there remains a major concern with the traffic impacts of the proposed development, especially the extreme congestion at the Folsom Blvd. and Bradshaw Road intersection.

 Meeting adjourned.

The next meeting will be a Steering Committee Meeting on Tuesday, October 24, 2017, at the Rancho Cordova Library.

Great American River Clean Up 2017

2017 ARPF Fall Clean Up

Hosted by American River Parkway Foundation

Saturday, September 16 at 9 AM – 12 PM
Gristmill Access Parking Lot

Each year, the Parkway Foundation facilitates two large-scale, Parkway-wide Clean Ups and monthly, site-specific Clean Ups. Spanning all reaches of the Parkway, Clean Ups remove mass amounts of debris from the Parkway in just a few hours. Removing debris makes the Parkway a more enjoyable and safe space, helps protect the river eco-system, and improves water quality.

BRECA is sponsoring the Clean up starting at Gristmill Access. You can sign up the day of the event or register online.

BRECA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes 8-22-17

BUTTERFIELD-RIVIERA EAST COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

DATE: August 22, 2017
PLACE:  Rancho Cordova Library, 9845 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento, California
MEETING TYPE:  BRECA Steering Committee Meeting

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT

Lori Christensen
Kelly Cohen
Bonnie Domeny
Rene Hamlin
Jim Morgan
Andrea White

 STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS ABSENT

James Adams
Lynda Hammitt
Gay Jones

 NUMBER OF GUESTS/MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC: 6

  1. Call to Order by Acting Chair Jim Morgan
  2. Minutes
    1. Minutes of July 22, 2017
      Andrea White made a motion to adopt the draft minutes of July 22, 2017.  Bonnie Domeny seconded the motion.  The motion was approved unanimously.
  3. Question or comments from the membership/community
    None
  4. Reports
    1. Treasurer
      Andrea White stated that the balance in the BRECA checking account is $5,069.99.
      On another topic, Andrea stated that she is using Quickbooks software from 2004 on an old computer.  The computer is not working well, and the software has limitations such as not making .pdf files.  Additionally, she is the only one that can read it.  Alternatives for replacement include:  using a friend’s Quickbooks or BRECA buys new software with the cost ranging from $60 to $150 a year.  If she spends any money on replacing the program, BRECA would have to amend the budget because there currently is not an expenditure shown for this expense. It was determine that for the short term Andrea will use her friend’s Quickbooks.
    2. CORPAC
      Carmen Mitchell reported that the CORPAC (Cordova Community Planning and Advisory Council) meeting had been cancelled.
    3. Outreach Committee
      Bonnie Domeny reported out that a new chair was not selected, but at the recent meeting they discussed some new processes.  They included: when to reach out to new members, and what BRECA looks and sounds like when they communicate to members.  Additional discussion included: updating the website more often, and adding additional content to the site.
  1. Old Business
    1. California American Water Proceeding Update
      No report was given.
    2. Picnic
      The BRECA Annual Picnic is to be held on September 24, from 4 to 6 pm.  Carmen Mitchell volunteered to chair the Picnic Committee.  There will be a bounce house, food, games and fun at the picnic.
    3. BRECA Budget 2017
      Andrea White, BRECA Treasurer, presented a draft budget for 2017.  There was discussion about the draft budget.  Rene Hamlin made a motion to adopt the budget.  Bonnie Domeny seconded the motion.  The motion was approved unanimously.
    4. County Regional Parks Funding: Board of Supervisors Meeting
      The County Board of Supervisors will meet soon to discuss increased funding for County Parks.  Jim Morgan noted that BRECA had already sent an email to the Board of Supervisors strongly encouraging the increase in funding.
    5. West Jackson Highway Master Plan meeting Report
      Bonnie Domeny reported that she attended a meeting where the County representatives discussed the West Jackson Highway Master Plan.  The County representatives presented a slide show and discussed the 2030 General Plan, which would expand the urban footprint along Jackson Hwy from Watt to Sunrise.  The plan has not been presented to CORPAC yet and an EIR has not been completed.  The County discussed the possibility of starting small with homes, transportation, schools, commercial, and buffer zones.  The project is about three years out, and zoning is in the process of being changed.  The project needs to be cost neutral.  The audience included people from the Rosemont Community Association (RCA) and BRECA.  Bonnie raised the concern that we already have empty commercial businesses, and more competition will make it difficult for them to survive.  There were lots of questions from the audience so there will be future meeting scheduled on the topic.
    6. From the Floor
      Jim Morgan asked if anyone is interested in writing articles for the upcoming newsletter.  Ideas for articles included Bark in the Park event and the Picnic.
      Carmen Mitchell mentioned that the farmhouse on Folsom Boulevard opposite to the Butterfield Light Rail Station has been sold and was wondering what was going to happen.
  1. New Business
    1. Kik It Lounge Alcohol Request
      Bonnie Domeny reported Kik It Lounge is a smoking and Karaoke lounge on Folsom Boulevard East of Bradshaw.  The Lounge backs up to homes in our neighborhood and has applied for an alcohol license.  Bonnie has counted seven similar businesses in our neighborhood.  They are to close to residential properties.  Individuals can sign up in opposition online.  Bonnie will follow up and provide the website.
    2. From the Floor
      None
  1. Meeting adjourned.

The next meeting will be a Steering Committee Meeting on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, at the Rancho Cordova Library.