BRECA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes – October 22, 2019

BUTTERFIELD-RIVIERA EAST COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

DATE: October 22, 2019
PLACE:  Rancho Cordova Library, 9845 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento, California
MEETING TYPE:  BRECA Steering Committee Meeting

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT

James Adams
Lori Christensen
Ken Crawford
Bonnie Domeny
Gay Jones
Lee Leavelle
Jim Morgan
Andrea White

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBER ABSENT

Rene Hamlin

NUMBER OF GUESTS/MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC: 4

  1. Call to Order by Chair Bonnie Domeny
  2. Welcome and Introductions
  3. Questions or Comments from the Membership/Community on Non-Agenda items.
    There were no questions or comments from the membership or community.
  1. Minutes
    Gay Jones made a motion to adopt the draft minutes for September 24, 2019.  James Adams seconded the motion.  The motion was adopted unanimously.
  1. Reports
    1. Treasurer
      Andrea White (Treasurer) distributed a handout of BRECA profit and loss budget vs. actual so far this year.  She noted that the BRECA bank balance was $4,570.02.
      Bonnie Domeny enquired as to whether it was possible to bring historical income to the meeting, so that it could be compared to this year.  Andrea responded that it could be brought to the next meeting.
      Jim Morgan enquired whether the money for the Welcome Packets, which was approved before the expenditure, should be considered as part of the budgeted funds.  Andrea responded that we are doing a constant budget, with overages approved as needed.
    2. CORPAC
      Lee Leavelle stated that there was a Cordova Community Planning and Advisory Council (CORPAC) meeting this month.  He stated that they considered the Environmental Impact Report for the Jackson township specific plan.  Most discussion was about traffic.  They voted to recommend approval of the specific plan.Gay Jones noted that County Planning has made recommendations for changes to the Community Planning and Advisory Councils (CPACs).  The biggest would be to remove the CPACs’ ability to file an appeal of decisions made by County Planning.  Otherwise it would cost $5,000 for an individual to file an appeal.  County Planning was supposed to circulate a report to the CPACs, but it is not out.  However, the Planning Commission is scheduled to vote on the report on Monday, October 28.  CORPAC voted to request an extension to study the proposal.  Lori Christensen enquired who was behind the proposal.  Gay stated that developers appeared to be behind the proposal, saying that the current procedures result in unnecessary delays.  However, most delays come from incomplete plans.  Lee Leavelle stated that the proposal is couched as responding to delays in getting housing approved.
    3. Membership
      Jim Morgan reported that two more Welcome Packets were delivered this month, for a total of 43.
      Jim also reported that there were no changes in BRECA membership this month.  BRECA has 99 memberships.
  1. Old Business
    1. Update on Bradshaw/Folsom Apartments Proposal
      Lee Leavelle stated that at the last BRECA meeting we had selected a small committee to meet with Mr. Mammadov (the developer).  Two meetings were held, with County Supervisor Don Nottoli facilitating.  People at the first meeting addressed their concerns to Mr. Mammadov.  He came back at the second meeting with modified plans that addressed those concerns.  In particular, the changes included rearranging the buildings to reduce impacts on two big trees on the north side of the property, making the apartments two stories instead of three on the north side, increasing the available parking by reducing the number of units, placing a sound wall on the north side, and putting larger trees on the north side.Lee stated that Mr. Mammdov did not have to make those changes.  However, he wants our support so that he does not have to use SB 35 and pay prevailing wages during construction.  He has also commissioned an arborists report, which will be incorporated into plans.  When complete the plans will be submitted to the County.Lori Christensen stated that she is concerned that people who were not involved may want more changes.  Bonnie Domeny stated that we have done our due diligence, having posted the plans to the BRECA website and placed notifications on Nextdoor.  The immediate neighbors were satisfied with the changes.  The committee’s recommendation is to support the plan.  Jim Morgan suggested that Mr. Mammadov come to the November meeting.  The Steering Committee could take a position then.Gay Jones stated that the changes should be considered as revisions, not concessions.  She does not believe Mr. Mammadov would use SB 35.  Bonnie commented that Mr. Mammadov gave his worst case scenario in June, so that he can look good when he pulls back from some parts.  A member of the audience commented that we are very lucky he pulled back on the three stories on the north side.  It could have been five stories, as is being done at other locations in Sacramento.

      Lori Christensen recalled that at the June meeting there was also concern about traffic.  She enquired whether the County will do a traffic study.  Ken Crawford stated there will not be a traffic study because the proposal is on a transit corridor.

      Andrea White enquired whether we are expecting a formal position from BRECA.  She stated that she would be reluctant to support the project, but would support neutrality.

      Gay Jones stated that a lot of the progress is due to Don Nottoli’s facilitating community input.

    2. Scheduling Meeting on Presentation of Bradshaw Apartments Proposal
      Bonnie Domeny stated that we should invite Mr. Mammadov to our November meeting.  There was discussion of whether November 26 worked for people, as some people may be out of town.  Lee Leavelle and Andrea White stated that they were unavailable for the 26th.  Bonnie suggested changing the date to the 19th.  It was noted that Mr. Mammadov and Supervisor Nottoli need to be notified of the change.  Lori Christensen volunteered to check with the Library to see if the meeting room is available on that date.  It was also suggested that the church meeting room could be an alternative.
    3. Picnic
      Lori Christensen thanked the people who helped put on the BRECA Picnic: Bonnie Domeny, Rene Hamlin, Andrea White, and Jim Morgan.  She noted that the picnic was on a Saturday this year, but was on a Sunday last year.  There were about the same number of people attending.  Bonnie Domeny stated that there is a reason for choosing Sunday, as Saturday is traditionally sports.  Andrea White suggested that BRECA could do a generic banner similar to the Easter Egg Hunt banner.  We would have to pick one particular day.  Bonnie commented that she liked the idea of a banner for the picnic.
    4. Newsletter
      Jim Morgan reviewed the people who had volunteered to write articles for the upcoming Newsletter, and reminded people that the deadline for drafts is November 5.
    5. From the Floor
      James Adams commented that the Little Free Library is about half full.  Bonnie Domeny stated that she keeps an eye on it, and asks Rene Hamlin to get more books from the thrift store when it gets low.
  1. New Business
    1. Tree Planting
      A member of the audience stated that he had been communicating with people about tree planting in Riviera East Park.  He has coordinated with the Sacramento Tree Foundation and Cordova Recreation and Park District (CRPD).  They have chosen a date: November 23.  They would like to get about 60 volunteers. He also wants BRECA’s endorsement.  There was discussion of some details of the project.  Bonnie enquired whether we could use the BRECA email list to inform people.  It was agreed to do so.  Andrea White commented that typically the CRPD Board would also be invited.
    2. Sacramento Municipal Utility District Correspondence
      Gay Jones reported that the Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) is looking for ways to communicate with communities on urgent and non-urgent issues.  Gay commented that this is not our responsibility.  Bonnie Domeny stated that she had responded to the SMUD questionnaire.  She also contacted Nextdoor, and they said that SMUD could do a sponsored page, which would cost money.  It was generally agreed that this is not our issue.
    3. From the Floor
      Gay Jones commented that a company is laying fiber optic cables on Stoughton.  Gay stated that they are using Stoughton and Mira Del Rio as a back route because Folsom Blvd. is not available.
      Gay reported that Metro Fire is doing a Community Emergency Response Team training in November.  Interested people should contact Gay.
      James Adams commented that there is a new California American Water General Rate Case starting.  Gay suggested that a better use of our volunteer resources is to work with the Office of Ratepayer Advocates.  [Secretary’s note: The Office of Ratepayer Advocates is now called the Public Advocates Office.]
  1. Meeting adjourned.

The next meeting will be a Steering Committee Meeting in November 2019, at a date and place to be determined.

Agenda: 10-22-2019 BRECA Steering Committee Meeting

The monthly meeting of the Butterfield-Riviera East Community Association Steering Committee is open to all members of the community. Join us to share your concerns and provide your feedback on issues related to our neighborhood. This month’s meeting includes an update on the Bradshaw Apartments. You can review the updated proposal here.

October 22nd, 2019 6:30 pm
Rancho Cordova Library
9845 Folsom Blvd
Sacramento, CA

  1. Call to Order
  2. Welcome and Introductions
  3. Questions or Comments from the community on non-agenda items
  4. Approval of Minutes 
    • September 2019
  5. Reports
    • Treasurer – Andrea
    • CORPAC – Gay
    • Membership
      1. Welcome Packet Distribution Update – Jim
      2. Membership report – Jim
  6. Old Business
    • Update on Bradshaw Apartments – Lee
    • Schedule meeting on presentation for Bradshaw Apartments – Bonnie
    • Annual Picnic Recap– Lori
    • BRECA newsletter update – Jim
    • From the floor

  7. New Business
    • Confirm date for November Steering Committee Meeting – Bonnie
    • Tree Planting – Jay
    • SMUD correspondence – Gay
    • From the floor

Adjourn to next meeting. November 26, 2019 6:30 PM. Cordova Library.

Download and print the agenda.

Bradshaw Apartments Oct. 2019 Update

History

The BRECA Steering Committee was made aware of a proposal to build an apartment project in an empty lot behind the businesses at 9555 Folsom Blvd. In June 2019, the developer, Rashad Mammadov, presented his plans at a community meeting. See previous post on this project.

Ad hoc committee

Since then, an ad hoc committee for the Bradshaw Apartments project was formed. This committee consists of a few BRECA steering committee members, and several neighbors adjacent to the project. The purpose of the committee is to work with Mr Mammadov to ensure the project fits in with the community and to reduce the impact on the immediate neighbors.

Recently, the project committee met twice with Mr. Mammadov to discuss the plans for Bradshaw Apartments. Also in attendance was Supervisor Nottoli, and his Chief of Staff.

Initial meeting with the developer

In the first meeting, we discussed concerns about the project and it’s impact on the neighbors. Mr. Mammadov suggested that he was open to making adjustments to the proposal he presented in June. After some discussion, we reached an agreement on several recommendations to change the proposal. Specifically, these requests were noted:

  1. Two stories for the apartments on the north side of the project, stepping to 3 stories on the south side.
  2. Ensuring the drip lines of the heritage trees on neighbor’s properties are protected.
  3. 7 foot sound wall at the highest point on the property line.
  4. Installation of mature trees for privacy.
  5. Where possible, adjusting the balconies so that they are not facing north, especially on the 3rd story.
  6. Installing air conditioners or other motorized appliances on the south side of the buildings.

Followup Meeting

Mr. Mammadov returned to meet with the committee last week. He provided new plans and artists renderings.

Bradshaw Apartments 1
Bradshaw Apartments 2
Bradshaw Apartments 3
Bradshaw Apartments 4
Bradshaw Apartments 5

Download the October 2019 Bradshaw Apartments Site Plan

All of the proposed recommendations were implemented in the new iteration of the project. The committee reviewed and discussed the plans in detail with Mr. Mammadov. After some discussion, the project committee is satisfied with the current iteration of the plan.

Final adjustments may be necessary based on an impending report from an arborist about the heritage oaks. This report may require some changes to the current plans to ensure the protection of the heritage oaks.

Committee recommendations

The project committee supports and approves the current proposal, with the knowledge some adjustments in the final proposal may be necessary to protect the trees.

What’s next

Mr. Mammadov will review the arborist reports and make adjustments as appropriate. He has offered to share the report with the project committee. He expects to submit a proposal to the county planning department for review by the end of October 2019.

Final notes

The BRECA Steering Committee appreciates that Mr. Mammadov included the community in the planning process. His responsiveness to the committee’s recommendations indicates that he is not only in partnership with our community, but also a new neighbor. We would also like to thank Supervisor Nottoli and his staff for facilitating the discussions to ensure a productive experience for everyone.

BRECA is the voice for our community. The volunteer steering committee wants to thank the neighbors who have actively participated in the process by reviewing plans, providing feedback, and attending meetings. Together our community is stronger!

Update: Arborist Report

Mr. Mammadov provided BRECA with the Arborist Report. Download and view here.